Westchester-Putnam Council has support for all unit leaders that have youth with Special Needs ….
The Special Needs Scouting Committee has been formed to address the growing demand from packs, troops, crews and all scouting units for full support for all youth with any special needs and/or disabilities.
The SNS Committee meets monthly (except July & December) on alternating days of the month at the Council Service Center in Hawthorne, 7:30-8:30pm. Please see the Council Calendar as we encourage any leader that is curious or has an interest in learning more about our SNS Committee or disability awareness efforts to join our meetings. Every unit should have an adult Special Needs Advocate and attending our meetings is a terrific way to learn how the SNS Committee is a helpful resource to unit leaders!
- For a more detailed summary of the work done by the Special Needs Scouting Committee, please refer to our annual report.
Special Needs Scouting Committee:
Steve Owen & Kristine Kingsley-Mulder – Committee Co-Chairs
Algonquin: Andi Anderson, Carol Brown, Christopher Graseck, Kristine Kingsley-Mulder, Rob Levine, Donna Ragusa, Margaret Sculti, Charlie Zegers
Manitoga: Kathleen Kaiser, Dawn Kessler, Cindy Rubino
Mohican: Joseph Barca, Paxton Louis, Steve Owen, Dominick Venturini, Jay Werner
Muscoot: Crystal Kennedy
Professional Advisor: Rob Behan
Chairman Emeritus: Tom McCandless
For any specific inquiries please contact the SNS Committee by email: [Click for member’s page]
Our Mission Statement
Our mission is to support and encourage all scouting youth with special needs & their families; & to offer equal opportunities for these scouts to participate to the best of their abilities in a rewarding scouting experience within the Westchester-Putnam Council, BSA.Our Mandate
Assist all Scout Leaders developing and coordinating an effective Scouting program for scouts with disabilities and special needs, using all available BSA & community resources.
Special Needs Scouting Unit Annual Survey: 2018 and 2019
Watch this space for news on this year’s Special Needs Scouting Unit Survey.
If you have any questions about filling out the survey please contact the Special Needs Committee Co-Chair Steve Owens at email@example.com
Yours in Scouting,
Co-Chairs Special Needs Committee
- Special Needs Survey (PDF)
- Sample Completed Survey
- Frequently Asked Questions and Sample Answers
- Why Complete the Special Needs Scouting Survey?
Special Needs Training Materials
These presentations were given at the University of Scouting, March 2017
See additional link below for University of Scouting presentations from 2015
- University of Scouting: Special Needs Scouting Intro
- Creating an Effective Pack/Troop for Scouts with Special Needs
- Autism and Scouting
- Six Strategies for Working with Kids
- Understanding ADHD – A View from the Inside
- When to Use Special Needs Advancement Rules
- Video: Discussion of practical solutions to real challenges, as told by unit leaders
How the Special Need Scouting Committee Supports Units & Council:
• Promote all aspects of Disability Awareness • Assist & Approve Advancement Alternatives
• Assist with Disability-specific Advancement • Assist & Approve Alternative Registration
• Provide Community Service Opportunities • Assist with Onboarding new scouts & Intake Assessments (as needed)
• Provide Exceptional & Continuous Training • Present Annual Awards to Scouters & Scouts for Exceptional Service
• Other Council-specific Strategic Initiatives (longer term):
Program Adaptations for Council-wide Events, inc disAbilities Awareness Challenge (dAC)
Develop & Promote New Special Needs Scouting Units
Provide Input & Assist with Needed Property Adaptations & Accessibility
Assist with Strategic Funding For These InitiativesKey Messages to all Units:
• The WPC Special Needs Scouting Committee is an enormous & available resource; visit our monthly meetings!
• Be prepared and welcoming of any special needs youth & their family that wants to join your unit.
• Let your youth leaders know that your unit is available to potential Special Needs youth.
• Be aware of alternative membership registration and advancement substitutes, reach out to our Special Needs Scouting Committee for assistance.
• Depending upon the severity of the disability or handicap, reach out to the Special Needs Scouting Committee to assist with a suggested pre-joining family conference.
Special Needs Advisory Members
The Special Needs Scouting Committee has developed a team of professionals that have spent the majority of their professional lives serving the special needs community.
The purpose of this Special Needs Advisory team is to assist in the following areas:
1) provide professional input in ruling on alternative registration requests.
2) provide professional training opportunities through University of Scouting.
3) provide professional input for community service opportunities.
4) provide professional advisory input for disAbilities Awareness Challenge events.
Gayle Cratty – NFP Executive, Board Member SPARC
Robert M Tudisco, ESQ – ADHD Specialist, Board Member CHADD
Judy Gillet – Special Education Teacher, BOCES, Pines Bridge School Yorktown Heights
Evan Latainer & Anna Masopust – Westchester County Office for the Disabled, Board Members Miracle League of Westchester
Paul Rowe – Wee Zee World; Occupational Therapy Specialist
Tricia Zarro – Regular Ed Teacher Dobbs Ferry for inclusive classroom; Inclusion Director – Camp Combe; Therapeutic Recreation & Autism Spectrum Specialist